Program Educational Objectives
Program educational objectives are broad statements that describe what graduates are expected to attain within a few years after graduation. The expected attainments of our graduates are:
- Graduates will be accomplished productive professionals and leaders in industry, national laboratories, academia, service, and society, contributing to the technological and economic development of Hawai‘i, the U.S., and beyond.
- Graduates will implement emerging and innovative technologies, apply professional standards, and continue their professional development and learning through individual effort in the workforce, professional education, and technical conferences.
- Graduates will exhibit professional conduct and be leaders who are adaptable, accept and practice their professional and ethical responsibilities, respect diversity of opinion and culture, and have an understanding and appreciation for sustainability issues.
The program constituencies are alumni, employers, and faculty. The primary interface between the program and the alumni and employers is the Industry Advisory Board.
All graduates of the Engineering Science Program will be expected to have demonstrated:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.