Requirements for admission to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa are outlined in the front of the course catalog.
The College of Engineering at University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa has a selective admissions process. After acceptance to the University, a secondary set of College of Engineering specific admissions requirements must be met to be accepted directly into one of the declared engineering major programs.
High School Admissions Requirements
The college reviews the student’s records for evidence of high academic performance in relevant math and sciences like the following courses completed or in-progress during the senior year.
- Calculus (preferred) or Trigonometry/Precalculus
- The College also uses aptitude tests and high school records in its screening procedure.
Prospective students currently finishing up high school or with 0-23 college credits earned or in-progress should apply as Freshmen through the UH Mānoa Admissions website.
Transfer Admissions Requirements
Successful completion of the following or their equivalents:
- Eng 100, English Composition I
- Math 241 and Math 242
- Chem 161/161L and 162 or Chem 171/171L
- Phys 170/170L
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
Prospective college students who have 24 or more college credits earned or in-progress should apply as Transfer Students through the UH Mānoa Admissions website.
Current UHM students (changing majors within UHM)
Current UHM students requesting to declare into an engineering major are held to the above Transfer Admissions Requirements.
Fill out the Transfer Request Form and schedule an Advising Appointment with Director of Academic Affairs, Jill Nakatsu to discuss application and curriculum.Schedule Appointment
Acceptance to Pre-Engineering Major
Students who do not meet the High School or Transfer Student Admissions Requirements may be accepted to the Pre-Engineering major.
- Pre-Engineering major students are a part of the College of Engineering.
- Work towards the curriculum of the intended engineering major
- Academic advising with an engineering advisor
- Notification of all engineering events/opportunities
- Access to the 100 and 200 lvl engineering courses for which the student meet prereqs (all engineering 300 level and above are major restricted, CEE/ME 271 and ME 213 preference given to declared students)
Declaring from Pre-Engineering to the intended Engineering Major requires the successful completion of transfer admissions requirements and submission of the Transfer Request Form to the Student Academic Services (SAS) office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate Student Admissions Requirements
If you are applying to the MS or PhD programs please visit the appropriate department website for specific requirements and application process. Students interested in or have questions about applying for the MS or PhD programs should contact the respective Graduate Department Chairperson (see dept. website).