Contact: Frances Zhu (email@example.com)
Location: Honolulu, HI
Description: Dr. Frances Zhu is seeking two PhD students for paid research assistant positions (position 1 and 2). Position 1 lasts three years and position 2 lasts five years. The research project that position 1 is funded by investigates system identification methods for a dynamic robotic system on planetary surfaces (appended to this call). The research project that position 2 is funded by aims to develop machine learning theory for online optimal decision making in safety critical dynamic robot applications, like spacecraft operations. Position 1 is already defined in scope but position 2 is much more flexible in scope.
The minimum qualifications for position 1 include a Master’s degree in related fields including but not limited to:
• Mechanical Engineering
• Aerospace Engineering
• Electrical Engineering
• Computer Science
• A related field that you may justify
The minimum qualifications for position 2 include a bachelor’s degree in the same areas.
Students will be evaluated based on the following qualifications or abilities:
• Academic preparation
• Related industry or research experience, skills, & potential
o Algorithm development
o Ability to ask fundamental questions and articulate evaluation criteria
• Writing, speaking, teaching abilities
• Independence, maturity, perseverance, responsibility, creativity, curiosity, passion, ambition
• Abilities in team work, community engagement (within or outside academia), and supporting justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
Why should you apply?
• Desire to pursue PhD in machine learning and space applications (marketable and high paying jobs post-degree)
• Guaranteed stipend and tuition waiver to UH
• Ability to work and live in Hawai’i
• High energy, inclusive lab and mentor
To apply: To respond to this call, email Dr. Frankie Zhu (firstname.lastname@example.org) your CV, the position(s) you are interested in, and your earliest start date. A cover letter would be nice but is not necessary.