Unfortunately, 2019 Summer Internship will be canceled because the person-in-charge will not be available.
We plan to bring this back next year!
- Gain hands-on experience in state-of-the-art engineering research facilities.
- Interact with University of Hawai`i at Mānoa College of Engineering faculty, researchers, graduate and undergraduate students.
- Meet high school students from around the state.
- Explore the engineering industry and career opportunities by attending industry site visits.
- Fine-tune professional & personal development skills.
- High school juniors (juniors going into their senior year)
- Priority will be given to students whose intent is to enroll at the University of Hawaii at Manoa College of Engineering in Fall 2018
- Number of interns accepted depends on faculty lab participation
- June 25th, 2018 – August 3rd, 2018
- Intern and faculty mentor and/or graduate research assistant will determine lab hours, along with weekly work schedules.
- Interns work on average 10-20 hours per week in the laboratory in addition to participating in professional & personal development workshops.
- Industry site visits and other special activities will be planned throughout the 6-week program.
- A Meet & Greet for the interns + family to meet their faculty & mentors will be held prior to the start of the internship on June 21st from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Final Presentations & Reception event
- University of Hawai`i at Mānoa, College of Engineering, Holmes Hall/POST Building
- $300 registration/administration fee upon selection and acceptance to participate in the program.
- $300 scholarships (limited) are available to those students needing aid. They must write a supplemental essay (#3) to be eligible for the scholarship.
- The internship is non-paid.
- Intern is responsible for finding his/her own way to the UH campus.
- Intern is responsible for parking fees.
Acceptance into the Program
- Decisions are made in May by the selection committee. Letters of decisions will be mailed to all applicants the following week.
- Decisions are made based on a combination of reviews of the quality of the applicant’s application, essays, and letters of recommendation. This includes following directions on the application.
- Priority will be given to those that express interest in attending the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa College of Engineering
For students from the neighbor island or mainland
- Intern is responsible for his/her own housing and transportation to the UHM campus.
- Contact Myhraliza Aala, EdD 808-956-7426 or at email@example.com, should you be selected and need affordable options for housing during the six-week program.