- Open to high school juniors (juniors going into their senior year).
- Priority will be given to students whose intent is to enroll at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa College of Engineering the fall after graduation.
- Number of interns accepted will depend on faculty lab participation.
- Gain hands-on experience in state-of-the-art engineering research facilities.
- Interact with University of Hawai`i at Mānoa College of Engineering faculty, researchers, graduate and undergraduate students.
- Meet high school students from around the state.
- Explore the engineering industry and career opportunities by attending industry site visits.
- Fine-tune professional and personal development skills.
- June 8, 2020 – July 17, 2020
- Together, intern and faculty mentor and/or graduate research assistant will determine lab hours, along with weekly work schedules.
- Interns work on average 10-20 hours per week in the laboratory in addition to participating in professional and personal development workshops.
- Industry site visits and other special activities will be planned throughout the 6-week program.
- A Meet & Greet for the interns + family to meet their faculty and mentors will be held prior to the start of the internship.
- The program will wrap up with a Final Presentations and Reception event.
- University of Hawai`i at Mānoa, College of Engineering, Holmes Hall/POST Building
- $300 program fee to participate in the program, upon selection and acceptance.
- The internship is non-paid.
- Intern is responsible for finding his/her own way to the UH campus.
- Intern is responsible for parking fees.
Acceptance into the Program
- Decisions are made by May 1 by the selection committee. Decision letters will be sent to all applicants the following week.
- Decisions are made based on a combination of reviews of the quality of the applicant’s application, essays, and letters of recommendation.
- Priority will be given to those that express interest in attending the University of Hawai`i at Mānoa College of Engineering
- Click here to apply (Applications accepted from March 12, 2020 through April 15, 2020)
- Note: This application is an online Google form that requires applicants to have a Google account. If you do not have a Google account and would like to apply, please contact email@example.com for a paper application.
- Note: Please read through the entire application first and collect all necessary information and materials. You will not be able to save your progress in the application form, so it must be submitted at one time.
- In addition to the form itself, items that must be uploaded include: 2 essays, 1-2 letters of recommendation, your high school transcript(s), and a signed certification. All details are explained on the application form.
For students residing on the neighbor islands or mainland:
- Intern is responsible for his/her own housing and transportation to the UHM campus.
- Contact Kim Perez Hults at firstname.lastname@example.org or 808-956-7426 should you be selected and need affordable options for housing during the six-week program.